Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Impressions of the texts

You gotta Be the book, Wilhelm.



I really enjoyed this book because the author wrote in a very relaxed tone. Sometimes writers (especially those with credentials in English or literature) can write with a very stuffy tone, so I appreciated Wilhelm's ability to write to the audience as peers as opposed to students. As I wrote in my blog concerning the first chapters, it seemed to me that the book provided readers with a foundation for why literary theory is important. The book's content suggested complete subversion from the quintessential or 'traditional' methods of reading literarture and evaluating student reading. I think this book was very useful and conducive to the intent of the class as a whole.

Critical Encounters, Appleman.

This was by far my favorite of the three. Although the conclusion was slightly redundant, it conveyed an essential element of teaching theory. I liked the classroom examples she gave, they were really helpful in giving me ideas of how I can incorporate the lenses into my own classroom. The set up of the book also contributed to why I liked it. Th eorganization made it easy to understand. She often gave the definition of the theory and then gave classroom examples. She gave her own side commentary within the text, which was more beneficial than not. There were aspects in which I did not agree with but I think a text is supposed to challenge the reader to evaluate the text and compare it to your own personal ideas. This is a great text for teachers who either are beginning to journey through the path of literary theory with students or those who ponder it's relevance. It isn't an exhaustive theory book, which s good because that would be overbearing. It also just touches the tip of the iceberg with the theories presented in the book. Thi sbook serves as an introductory tool that a tecaher can refer to at any point of their instruction of literary theory.

Literature and Lives, Webb.

This seemed like the more intimate of the three. The author invited the reader into his classroom and his mind as he gave his own opinions and insights; giving real-life examples of the journey from one perspective to the next as it pertains to literary theory. I found the book to be helpful, yet not as engaging as the other two. I think it read like a biographical sketch at times rather than a tool for new teachers. Nevertheless, it still contained some useful information.

No comments: